Tuesday, June 24, 2014

We Survived the Irish Heatwave!

Last week Ireland had a "heatwave" and that is all they talked about on the television, radio, the streets, etc. I kept waiting for this "heatwave" and found the whole thing very comical. Especially since the day before we had a blueberry sized hail storm and it looked like it had snowed. 
Everywhere in the stores they always have the umbrellas next to the sun lotion. Very funny!
The weathermen had issued an alert for "extreme high temperatures" of a whopping 26-28 degrees Celcius (which is about  78 degrees Fahrenheit). Are you kidding me? The children and I were just laughing about the whole thing and what a big deal it is for the Irish. I know that people do not have AC in their houses but still. I have a little temperature thingy in my room here and the hottest it got was 80 degrees upstairs. I also was getting emails from the school about making sure that the children were wearing sun lotion everyday. Hilarious!

The "severe" alert!
The weather forecast during the "heatwave"
Ireland's radar during the "heatwave"
The high temperature on June 18th
I will say though that the Irish sun does feel a lot stronger then back at home. I have even heard stories here of people from Turkey, Spain, etc that say the Irish sun is much more potent. The Irish all have super white skin (or as they call it here "blue" colored skin), so naturally they all just burn and don't tan at all. 

My T who rarely ever gets a burn (I'm so bad about sun lotion) came home from school with the back of his legs burned. Their class has taken a long walk to a park that day and the sun must have been behind him. T never gets burned on his legs. So maybe I should have listed to the weathermen and texts from the school about applying sun lotion. 
Hilarious! The "scorching heat"
The police were also so worried that the beaches were going to be so crowded during the heatwave so they sent extra gharda to patrol the beaches. Honestly it was just sooo funny!

We all survived though and just took advantage of the Irish way for getting AC = going outside!

1 comment:

  1. This is hilarious! I cannot imagine what happens when they go on vacation where it is actually hot!

    ReplyDelete

Say hello - I'd love to hear from you!