Tuesday, August 5, 2014

The Dublin to Virginia adjustment time is...


…still pending
It’s been one month and a couple days since we left Ireland.
Yes, I miss Ireland.  I miss it lots. But don't get me wrong I LOVE America!
It doesn’t help that I went from fun city life Dublin to suburbanhood.  Yes, I say we’re in Washington DC, but we’re just in the burbs.  I'm overwhelmed with the amount of stores and grocery stores, and all the many many choices. But as Joe pointed out I'm sure it will not take me too long to get back into the spending rhythm. Someone even joked to me that I went from living in an anti-consumerism society to the land of "must have more". Its so true!
There are some things that I just never realized before moving to Ireland that now are so glaringly noticeable.  Like how radio stations play the same 10 songs here.  Over and over and over.  
Or bread that never molds.  Seriously.  I’m a bit creeped out by American bread now.  Not only is it kind of short compared to the really tall loaves we’d get…but a week past their expiration date, they still look normal.  In Ireland – where they don’t use food preservatives – you had about four-five days max with bread.  Here bread just sits around.  For days.  Staring at you.  Mocking you with its pretend freshness.  It goes into an unnatural state of false freshness.  It’s creepy.
What’s funny is that in Ireland, we were constantly going on about how quickly things went bad.  We didn’t do huge grocery shopping trips because A) there was no place to put a ton of food and B) it would go bad quickly so it wasn’t worth it anyway.  Going to the grocery store every day or every other day was a bit of a norm.  Now?  I have to remind myself  about the food that’s in the freezer that we haven’t been using.  Because I keep forgetting we have a large freezer. 
I also forgot just how many plastic bags stores give out here.  After a  year of carting my own bags everywhere, I first found freedom in going to the grocery store without bags.  Now?  I’m back to hating them.  
The hardest change has been the pace. Everyone here is so rushed.  Frantic almost.  Must rush here, must get this done, must race over there, must go go go.  Keep Busy or Die!  And then, go to bed early so you can get up early and do it all again.  I don’t know if I kept a frantic pace before – probably! But Ireland?  Yes, these are my people.  “No rush, would you like a cup of tea?”  Yes please.  Here?  Here people expect you to be on time – everyone has a schedule to keep.
On a positive note, I’m still in love with my clothes dryer and dishwasher.  Really, I don’t miss hanging all my clothes all the time.  
The children have all adjusted well back into their OWN rooms! They loving being back home with family and all their friends. We have had a great summer and its hard to believe that school will be starting again in 3 weeks! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Say hello - I'd love to hear from you!