Tuesday, July 1, 2014

It's not all Guinness and Cadbury

In three days we will be leaving Ireland and heading back to Virginia. A wave of all the little things I will miss hit me. I can easily list all the things I'll miss - like this small house we are in, even though its small (I do complain often) you can clean the whole thing in 30 minutes if people are coming over. I love all the shopping here and the stores. I love the food and how nothing here has preservatives, food coloring, corn syrup, etc. It is just so much more healthier for you. I will miss the people of Ireland itself, the short school days, and being so close to a big city and the Irish Sea. I will miss hanging out with all my relatives and the many many cups of tea we have all had together. It was nice to have a slower lifestyle for a year. I will miss the awesome talk radio they have here and the Late Late Show on Friday nights! Mostly I will miss the smell of the Irish air. I can't describe it but its gorgeous and I even remember the smell from when I was a small child. Immediately when you get of the airplane you can smell it. I wish they would make it into a Yankee Candle! 

But there are a few things I will not miss...like...

...having to hang all the clothes to dry. I will not miss that at all. I can't wait to get home to my big dryer and soft warm fluffy towels. I also can't wait to have my clothes washer that I fit all my children into (just using that as a size comparison!). 

We call this 'The Octopus'
...paying the equivalent of $8 a gallon for gas. Yes its expensive and it adds up. We will be the few people going "$4/gallon? That's it?"

...we will also be the only people thinking warm thoughts about the American tax system. They build in a 23% sales tax into the cost of things here. 

...cold toilets. Nope. I will not miss those at all. Ever!

...driving on the wrongs side of the road. Yeah, I still call it the wrong side! Now, I do feel cool that I've managed it well, but I still find it a bit odd. I'm hoping driving on the right side of the road will be normal to me instantly when I get home. 

...nor will I miss the narrow roads and parking spots. I'm good at the narrow roads and I have not lost a mirror (yet). But I've yet to master the narrow parking spots. I tend to park where I know I can get out. I can't wait for those nice wide American roads and parking lots. 

...speaking of, I won't miss how dinged up cars get here. Its the normal. Because of those narrow roads and parking spots. 

...screenless windows. Nope. Will not miss them one bit. Since the weather has been warm we have at least 1-3 big fat blue eyed flies buzzing around the house all.day.long.

...lack of seasons. I miss my 4 seasons in Virginia...I need four seasons. We have seasons in Ireland - fall rainy season, winter windy cold rainy season, spring rainy season, and summer (which is usually 2-5 days long). Imagine if this country had a real summer  or winter - they would honestly have to shut down the whole country. 



1 comment:

  1. ha, i can't believe you haven't lost a mirror yet despite all of your efforts!

    ReplyDelete

Say hello - I'd love to hear from you!