Saturday, June 28, 2014

You Can't Beat an Irish Funeral

The Irish are well-known for their joy, belief in good luck, and uplifting spirits, especially when it comes to enjoying a party. This spirit continues even surrounding death and funerals. The most well known is the 'Irish Wake'. A wake used to be the custom in Celtic countries for mourners to keep watch or vigil over their dead until they were buried - this was called a 'wake'. This is where the term comes from. Often the wake is a party, a true celebration of the life of a person, as people gather to eat, drink, and share memories. 

A traditional Irish custom is to display the body of the deceased in the family home. Wakes started with a neighbor women washing the body of the deceased and preparing it to be laid out on a bed or table, often in the largest room of the house. 
- The body was covered in white linen with ribbons, or flowers for a child. 
- Candles were placed around the body
- Clay pipes or tobacco were placed in the room. Every male visitor was expected to take at least a puff. The smoke kept evil spirits from finding the deceased. 
- Clocks were stopped at the time of death.
- Mirrors were turned around or covered. 

The old-fashioned wake was a hybrid of paganism and Christianity and is still practiced today, but in a very toned down way. 
- The body must not be left unattended for the entire wake.
- On entrance, the mourner makes their way to the side of the body, kneels down and silently recites a few prayers for the departed soul.
- The mourner is offered food and drink for hours spent at the wake.
- If the weather is good the men congregate outside - if not, they go to the kitchen. 
- The body is often in the front room of the house.
- The Rosary is recited once or twice - at midnight and then towards morning, along with traditional prayers. 
- Most visitors leave at midnight, but there will be a few that stay until the morning. 
- They drink tea, whiskey, and beer, and share stories with quiet laughter but a solemn mood. 

I have only been to an Irish funeral once in my life. It was back in October 2008. My aunt died (she was my mothers oldest sister). I was picked up at the airport and driven to my aunts house. I walked in and there in the front room was my aunt laying in the coffin in her best dress. Could someone have warned me about this? I did not know that the Irish did this. Everyone had cups of tea in their hand, standing around the coffin telling stories. There was a bunch of food in the kitchen that neighbors had brought by for guests. Guests were coming in and out of the house all day long. This whole thing was definitely strange to me but I have to admit it was actually really nice and peaceful. Its not like our American wake where the family has to stand for hours while mourners come through, sometimes rushed because of the hours. The Irish wake was definitely more relaxed and I loved hearing all the stories about my aunt. There were many times we were all in tears from laughing. 

The body is kept in the house for a few days so that everyone can come by and pay their respects to the family. There was also a lot of talk of who was spending the night at the house so my aunt was not left alone. After about 2 days of this then I started to hear questions - are you going to the removal, or the mass, or both? The removal...what is this? On the day of the funeral close family meets at the house before the funeral. When I got to the house that morning the priest was at my aunts house. They did a few prayers and everyone pays their last respects before they close the coffin. This part is called the removal. Then the coffin is carried out to the hearse and the flowers are placed around the coffin in the hearse. The priest got into one of the cars and we all went to the church. Except there is one person that will stay behind in the house to ward off the robbers. Yes..robbers! Usually its one of the neighbors that will stay in the house after everyone leaves. Everyone in Ireland knows that would-be-burglars listen to the death notices to see where there might be an empty house. I find this all hilarious! 

My aunt's mass was at the Whitehall Holy Child church which was the family church. This is where they all were baptized, 1st communion, etc. The mass was nice and was just like a funeral mass at home. Except everyone waits outside of the church until the coffin arrives and then everyone goes in together. After mass everyone got into their cars. The funeral procession then drove by my aunts house and the hearse and cars paused. We all made the Sign of the Cross and bowed our heads in respect. Then we all drove off to the cemetery.

The priest did the prayers for the burial and my aunts coffin was lowered into the ground. There was a shovel there and everyone was told to take a scoop of dirt and throw it on the coffin. You always see that in the movies but I never seen it actually done at a burial.

The reception was at a local hotel and they had lunch catered for everyone. I think by this time it was around noon. We did not leave there until midnight! Yes...12 hours later! I think most people left their cars in the parking lot and took a taxi home. It definitely felt more like a party then a funeral. I will admit it was a lot of fun. I think I want my funeral to be an Irish funeral!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say hello - I'd love to hear from you!